Pin the tail on the donkey
Pin the tail on the donkey is ideal for birthday party entertainment. This is a great fun game that will bring lots of laughs! You can set up this game indoors or outdoors as a birthday activity or as a challenge in a scavenger hunt game. It is a great classic that is often also found at fairs. Discover the complete rules of these game, variations, adaptations and download the printable support for free!
- number of players: from 3 children
- age: from 4 years old
- material: print our attached PDF file or create your support
- Played indoors or outdoors
- Duration: 20 minutes
Preparation of the game:
Download the PDF file by clicking on the photo below. Print the donkey and its tail.
Tape the donkey onto a piece of cardboard and then place it on the wall where nothing interferes with the child’s path to the donkey.
The game is played with pins but you will understand that the fixed dough is still more reassuring for a game that takes place with young children.
You can also prepare your own donkey game with cardboard, scissors… Draw the donkey or other character on your cardboard. Prepare alongside, on sheets of paper, the donkey’s tail or the accessory corresponding to your model to place correctly on the animal or the character and you’re done.
Download your PDF file by clicking on the links below!
We offer you the possibility to download the Donkey Tail Play Kit for free. 2 versions are available. The first in A4 format therefore in small model; the second in A2 format, or the equivalent of 4 A4 sheets, so in large format. Print the second by checking the “100%” option which will prevent you from having to cut out the margins… Click on the link corresponding to your choice to obtain the set to print!
Rules of the game: Pin the tail on the donkey
It’s a team game where the kids will have to put the donkey’s tail back in the right place, ie on its buttocks! But beware! It’s not that simple because children will be blindfolded! You can create your own game support or print on an A4 or A2 sheet our printable kit that we offer! Print the tail several times (2 or 3 times), place a fixed dough pellet so that it can be reused, easily unhook it and start over …
Ask the children to stand in front of the picture, one behind the other, about 2-3 meters apart, to adapt according to the age of the children.
Blindfold the first player with a scarf that doesn’t let in the light. Give him a donkey tail in his hands.
The adult will give the TOP START! The child can then try to place the donkey in the right place …
Once the tail is hooked then the child undoes the blindfold and observes with his classmates where the tail is placed.
Then it’s up to the next player to try to get as close as possible to the exact spot where the tail should be.
Pin the tail on the donkey variations:
- For older children, turn the child around. He will then have to walk towards the donkey, listening to the directions shouted by his comrades. The child should then try to find the right direction to get to his target and not go in the opposite direction.
- Assign a tail to each child with his initials so that it is recognizable… The children then pass one behind the other and leave their tail on the donkey… This will give 3 points to the closest player, 2 points to the second and 1 point on the third… You can then count the points by doing several laps!
- You can also time the children by giving them a time defined by you to plant their tails… This adds spice to the activity…
- You can make the route more complex: longer distance, add a pitfall in their path (something soft to prevent the children from hurting themselves) or if you are outside, make them go through a path such as going around the path. ‘a tree.
With all of these tips, you will find that the donkey tail game will appeal to children of all ages either by making the game easier or more complex depending on their abilities.
Adaptations of game
Feel free to get creative to suit your birthday party theme.
- cowboy: display a visual with a horse where the children will also have to replace the tail.
- princess: display the visual of a princess where this time you will have to put the crown back on her head!
- pirate: display the visual of a pirate where you have to place your sword in your hand
- knight: children will have to give the shield back to the knight
- fairy: our little fairy has lost her wand. We will have to give it back …
You will understand … You can easily adapt the donkey tail game to your birthday theme! Take the character from the game and take away an accessory that the children will have to put back in the right place!
The educational advantages
- develop listening skills (when classmates guide the child by playing with a variant)
- develop a sense of direction
- develop your balance (you can’t move around the same when you are blindfolded!)
- develop concentration and attention: pay attention to where you are going with your blindfolded while listening to your classmates for the direction to follow)
- learn the names of animals (using the game variations)
- play collect
Discover all our games to easily throw the best party ever for your kids with our printable game kits!