What’s the time Mr Wolf is a classic kids’ party game for children of all ages to enjoy. It is a form of tag played in Australia, Belgium, Canada, the United States, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United Kingdom. This game can be played both indoors and outdoors.
- number of players: from 3 children
- age: from 4 years old
- equipment needed: nothing
- Played indoors or outdoors
- Duration: 10 min
How to play What’s the time Mr Wolf?
- One player plays the role of the wolf and stands at one end of the playing area. Mr Wolf turns his back to commence play. The other players stand in a line at the other end.
- The other players line up behind the wolf and ask, “What’s the time, Mr. Wolf?”
- The wolf responds by giving a time (e.g. 4 o’clock), and the other players then walk the number of steps corresponding to the time mentioned (in this case, four steps).
- In this way, the players get closer and closer to the wolf. But the wolf may choose to respond, “It’s dinner time!”
- If so, he turns around and chases the other players, who must try to reach the starting line. The player caught by the wolf becomes a wolf in turn.
And the game continues.
What’s the time Mr Wolf Variations
For older groups:
- The game can be modified for older students by adding a constraint: when the wolf catches another player, both become wolves and must hold each other arm to arm. If the pair touches another child, that player joins them and so on.
- If a player reaches the other end of the room (the wolf’s den) without being tagged, he or she releases the eaten students, and another wolf is chosen.
- Another variation is to have the ones that are tagged sit out.
For multi-age groups:
- Older wolves and lambs have difficulty moving: they have to jump with their feet together or hop on one leg.
The educational advantages of the game
- generates fun atmosphere
- develops students’ concentration and listening skills.
- spatial awareness
- cardiovascular endurance
- learning and listening to the rules of the game
Discover all our games to easily throw the best party ever for your kids with our printable game kits!