A wheelbarrow race is a fun activity for children and is usually held in a large outdoor field or in a school gymnasium. A wheelbarrow race is a competitive game conducted in pairs, in which one plays the role of the driver, and the other the role of the wheelbarrow. The driver holds on to the other player’s ankles, while the other player walks on their hands. We’ve got a range of indoor and outdoor games for the entire family.
- Players: from 5 players
- Ages: 6+
- Materials: none (or a wheelbarrow)
- Played indoors or outdoors
- Play time: 15 min
How to play the Wheelbarrow race?
Go outside or to a large, empty room to play this one. Have the kids get into pairs and line up at a starting point. One child is the wheelbarrow and the other child is the driver. The wheelbarrow puts his hands on the ground and then the driver holds the child’s legs in the air. The wheelbarrow walks on his hands while the driver supports his legs and drives him to the finish line.
The first group to the finish line wins, or just play for fun and everyone wins.
One word of advice: Have all wheelbarrows tuck in shirts before beginning.
To facilitate a race, you’ll need to have at least four participants, although more participants will increase the competition.
So everybody grab a partner and get moving!
How To Change it Up?
- Set up some obstacles for the partners to navigate around.
- Set up your race course where there is a slope or unevenness to the ground to make it harder.
- Try having the partners go backwards to reach the finish line.
- Use a real wheelbarrow, and have kids take turns racing back and forth to transport beanbags, rocks, or leaves.
The educational advantages of the wheelbarrow race game
- It generates fun atmosphere
- Fun activity that builds strength and gross motor skills
- Great way to promote upper extremity and core strength
- Play in community: social skills
- It improves endurance
- Promotes rule-following: ability to follow instructions.
Discover all our games to easily throw the best party ever for your kids with our printable game kits!